Monday, February 24, 2014

'Pure as the Driven' -- Ripper Street 2x01


Warning: Spoiler Alert

So, I go into series two of "Ripper Street" already knowing that there won't be a series three (since it has been cancelled by the Beeb), which I find rather disappointing, since I was looking forward to there being at least a few more seasons of this show. I saw some of the comments from that article, where people said that the show was kind of cliché, and while I can't really argue with them all that much, I still really enjoy the show and want there to be more of it. So, there's a big-time frowny face over here.

I'm wondering where Reid's wife was when he got home. The writers seemed to be making a point that she wasn't there when he got there. I don't get the feeling that she is dead, but maybe the two of them have been having more trouble, and she's gone off to stay at the half-way house that she's set up? The two of them seemed to be really iffy at the end of series one, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were still really iffy now (especially since I get the feeling that she probably still thinks that their daughter is dead, and he probably still thinks that she's alive).

I liked the introduction of Joseph Merrick into the show, since I thought that it was an interesting move on their part, and I liked even more that he was friends with Reid. I worry about what is going to happen to him with our new baddie, since it seemed from the preview that the baddie knew that Merrick had seen what he did (and was going to make sure that Merrick didn't tell anyone about it). Hopefully, he will tell Reid what's going on before something bad happens to him, since I don't want bad things to be going on for the poor boy (he probably has it bad enough as it is).

I'm always struck by the way that Jackson takes the drugs sometimes to figure out what they are supposed to do. It doesn't seem like the smartest thing for him to do ... even if it may be the only way that he can really be sure of what's going on with some of them (since, like with the Heroin, it's something new, and they don't really know all of the effects of the drug). So, yeah, I know that I'm coming at this from a more modern POV, and not one that might have been feasible for the time frame, but damn ... that stuff is no good and will end up hurting him in the end if he keeps testing it on himself.

This new baddie, I'm really hoping that he turns out to be something outstandingly evil, cuz that would be completely amazing. And even though I don't think that it will happen (since the show runners probably weren't prepared for the cancellation), I would really like to get an answer (one way or the other) as to what happened with Reid's daughter.

No comments: