Tuesday, June 10, 2014

'The Watchers on the Wall' -- GoT 4x09


Warning: Spoiler Alert (for the episode and things that will likely happen in future seasons cuz they happened in the books

I really wasn't expecting that this entire episode was going to take place on the Wall. I figured that there would at least be a little bit of back and forth (like they usually do in episodes). This isn't to say that I'm complaining, since I really think that with all of the attention that has been spent on the palace intrigue, the haven't been doing justice to everything else that has been happening (especially when you consider the fact that there is a an army of zombies coming to take over the entire world ... but then, GRRM hasn't really been doing a lot with that either, even though it seems like the characters should be a little more worried than they are).

I loved, loved, loved the stuff with the giants. It wasn't just that it was that they were something out of the ordinary for what we usually see in the show (even if we know that they're there), but it's how their appearance means that everyone else who isn't on their side has the ability to be completely boned ... but then, there is also the fact that they bring the promise of the other things that are on the other side of the Wall ... like the First Men (who I'm really looking forward to seeing). I'm really curious to see how the showmakers do the visual of the chick that Bran meets later on, when he goes in to meet the three-eyed raven ... mostly I want to see if what they do is similar to what I have going on inside of my head.

There is a part of me that is kind of glad that Ygritte died when she did, cuz I can see the fear that she would always be coming for him could feasibly stop Jon from doing some of the things that he has already done in the books, and some of the things that he will likely be needing to do in the future ... provided that he survives the knife attack that happened in A Dance With Dragons (which I'm still not convinced that he's going to ... but I have a theory about what may happen to him, which I would love to see happen, but I'm not even completely convinced that that will happen, either). But at the same time, I wish that she could have lived. I don't see her giving up her bitterness ... at least not for quite a while, and she would continue to be a thorn in Jon's side (which would, in turn, end up hurting her). But if she had been able to let go of the hurt, I think that she could have been a respected leader amongst the Wildlings, and that would have been amazing cool. I could see her doing something along the lines of what Mace has done, and get a good number of the Wildling tribes to at least have a bit of peace amongst themselves. She could have been something akin to a Warrior Queen who was completely fierce, but who was remembered for peace and growth and building ... at least, that's kind of the romanticized vision that I have of what she could have been (inside of my head), whether or not she would have been capable of that (cuz of her own hang-ups, or the hang-ups of her people).

For all of the horrible things that were happening in this episode, I can't believe the amount of times I went, "Awww, Sam!" Cuz really! And I also got a bit teary-eyed when Jon and Sam came across their homie (whose name I am completely blanking on right now) in the tunnel. Yes, Jon, he did hold the gate. And the boys repeating their vows to give them courage ... ::hiccup:: ::sob::

No comments: