Saturday, December 6, 2014

'The Grimm Who Stole Christmas' -- Grimm 4x07


Warning: Spoiler Alert

I'll have to admit that I really wasn't expecting the writers to get rid of the kid. I figured that she was going to last a while longer on the show, with the two of them learning more about what it means to be a Grimm (while helping each other along the way). Sure, the show is really all about Nick being a Grimm, but the way that this episode was written, it almost felt like the writers were saying that the kid knew all that she needed to know from Nick, and she should start teaching someone else. That may not have been what they were going for, but that's kind of how it seemed.

But I suppose that it's good to have a Grimm somewhere else in the world who has ties back to Nick and the gang, and who Nick can trust to have his vision of how the world should be (when it comes to Grimm/Wesen relations). I can see Nick becoming the de facto leader of this grouping of Grimms (provided that there are going to be more of them who are allied with him, which I can completely see happening), even if he maybe wouldn't want to become their leader. And I kind of like the idea of this happening. Part of it may be the dissatisfaction that I've had with shows like SPN, where everything that isn't human is called a monster, even when those beings aren't hurting anyone else and just trying to live their lives (and when there are plenty of regular humans who should be called monsters, but aren't).

Hopefully, now that I've started to like the kid, we'll still see her some more, and she'll continue to report back to Nick about her progress with what's going on in her neck of the woods. In a way, I kind of hope that Josh doesn't become a Grimm. What I can see happening with him is that he'll try to compensate for not being able to see the Wesen when they're woged, so he'll try to study as much as he can, and he'll gather as much information as he can (whether it's from his and the kid's experiences, or from the experiences of other Grimms) into one place. I can fully see him becoming Super Librarian and Keeper of All the Grimmic Knowings, and people will come from all around to ask him to drop some knowledge on them; and there will be apprentices ... people who were born into Grimm families like he was, but who never got their Grimmy powers (so they know that there is stuff out there that they can't see, and they still want to help however they can). In a way, I guess I kind of picture him as becoming the head of a group that's kind of like a mix between the Watchers from "Highlander: The Series" and the Men of Letters from SPN.

I'm glad that when Nick and Hank went to the parents of the kid whose med alert bracelet they found, the parents didn't prove to be so careless that they realized that something was going on with their son, but they were just letting him run around terrorizing the city. That was bothering me while I was watching it ... that there would be these kids who turned into goblins during the 12 days of Christmas, and the parents didn't do anything to try and stop them from hurting people if they knew it was going to happen. It settled a little bit easier with me that they just didn't know that this was happening to their son, cuz it was such a rare thing (and they didn't realize that he was sneaking out at night).

Speaking of the 12 days of Christmas ... I feel like we're going to have a return to the comment Monroe made about the Lunar cycle, and wondering how he knew that. I don't feel like we're suppose to treat that like it was a throw-away comment, even though it didn't get much attention in the episode. I almost feel like we're going to find out that it's the key to solving something later on ... and I hope that it doesn't turn out to be anything so mundane as a correlation between werewolves and the moon.

The way that they were drawing out the way that Juliette was staring at herself in the mirror at the end of the episode, I kind of get the feeling that we're going to find out that she isn't pregnant. It seems almost like they were trying to do one of those psych outs where they want us to think that she's pregnant, just so that they can come back and go, "Haha! I can't believe you fell for that!" So, I'm saying no to the whole pregnant thing.

Also with Wu at the end of the episode, and what they showed us from next week's episode, it looks like he might finally be brought into the gang; and about time, too. I'm really looking forward to seeing Wu becoming a part of the gang ... and seeing his brain brake for a second (that's completely wrong of me, I know).

No comments: