Tuesday, September 17, 2013

'Pilot' -- SH 1x01


Warning: Spoiler Alert

The first thing that must be said is that I dug this show ... a lot. To the point that I have a feeling that it’s going to be one of my new appointment DVR viewings, and I’m going to be pissed off if I miss any of the episodes (kind of like what SPN was in the beginning, and what “Grimm” has become now). But that being said, I do have a nitpick that I have to get out (before it makes my head explode).

They said in the show that the horseman was one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, right? They also said that he was Death and that he had a bow on his hand (and had him riding a white horse). Wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. Death does not ride the white horse, nor does he carry the bow; that’s Conquest. Death rides the pale horse (which is described as being an ashen or yellowish green color, and if they were in a pinch, they might be able to use a palomino if they couldn’t find a “yellow/green” colored horse), but not the white horse. Yeah, this may not seem like a big deal to a lot of people, but getting the color of the horses when we’re talking about the Four Horsemen right is one of my pet peeves; especially since if everyone is going to the same text to get their information when they’re wanting to play with the horseman as characters, it’s not as though there’s all kinds of interpretations as to what the colors should be ... their origin is only in one book of the New Testament, and it should be easy to be able to get the information correct.

Moving on before I make my head explode ...

I kept thinking throughout the entire episode that the boy that they got to play Ichabod reminded me of Hiddles, and after talking to my friend Johnny, I guess that I’m not the only person who kept having my brain go there. It wasn’t just the accent that did it; it was his facial features (especially his nose) and his hands that really did it for me. And the more that the episode went on, the more that I liked the guy (cuz he made me really like Ichabod). I will also admit that I love the fact that the writers had him pronouncing “lieutenant” as “leftenant.” Yeah, that shouldn’t be a big deal, and I can understand why some people might get annoyed by it, but I dug it. It added that air of “I’m not actually from this time” without going overboard with the vocab.

I’m really digging Abbie, and I love the fact that she believed Ichabod (and that she was willing to stick her neck out for him). I have the feeling that the two of them are really going to be able to work well together, and they are going to be able to become besties (without any of that annoying sexual tension that you sometimes get in shows where the leads are male and female, or where the writers seem to have written an opening for themselves in case they decide later that they want to have the characters in a romantic/sexual relationship).

Also love? The fact that the captain’s last name is “Irving” ... as in “Washington Irving,” the writer of “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.” That makes me all kinds of happy on the inside, right inside of my nerdy place, and that is a fact.

So far I’m digging the thing that they’re doing with the covens, and not just cuz they don’t seem to be treating Wiccans like some other shows have done (even in recent years). I love, love, love Katrina, and I love even more that in the story by Washington Irving that was the name of Ichabod’s sweetheart (the one that Brom Bones was trying to chase him away from, which implies that Ichabod won out in the end).

The demon thing that is trying to get the horsemen riding again ... OMG that thing was creepy. I liked what they were doing with it (giving it the jerky movements, and never letting us see it in focus), cuz that made it even more creepy than it might have been if they had just shown it to us clearly and had it move normally.

So, overall (even with my nitpick), I’m really looking forward to getting into this show and its mythos.

No comments: