Thursday, October 23, 2014

'Soul Survivor' -- SPN 10x03


Warning: Spoiler Alert

Well, that was rather disappointing. It only took the course of one episode for Dean to be "cured" from being a demon. I was hoping that the Dean as Demon storyline would have lasted until the end of the season, since it seems like it would have created a much more dynamic season, and would have forced the writers away from the normal formula that they've had since season one. But now, there will be no more Dean as the possible Big Bad of this season, and I am rather disappointed.

Also, am I the only one who thought that his cure went a little too quickly? It only took the course of one episode ... it seems like it would have taken longer than that (or at least, it seems like it would have been far more interesting if it would have lasted longer, especially since Sam and Cas had no real clue as to whether or not it would actually work on him, even if it lasted around the course of one episode for Crowley to start acting human again). If they had played it out over a couple of episodes, the writers could have at least built up the tension over whether or not it might work, and could have gotten people to actually care a tiny bit about what might happen. Ok, I'm sure that there are some people who still care (since I've seen some reaction videos from the season finale for season nine, when it was reveled that Dean had gone all black eyes), but I'm not in that category any more ... I've been tired of he formula for quite a long time now.

I am very suspicious over the fact that Crowley helped Cas get some more grace. Seeing as how he's the King of Hell again (and the fact that he's still a demon), the fact that he's helping an angel with something is highly suspicious and makes me wonder what exactly it is that he has up his sleeve (which I'm sure is something). I don't get the feeling that he's going to try and get Dean to be his BFF again, since he seems to think that it's over between the two of them (even if he's turned all emo over the fact that he's lost his one true love).

But even if I'm suspicious about him and his motivations, I don't think that he's going to turn into this season's Big Bad ... and now that it's looking like it's not going to be Dean either (even if he does still have the Mark of Cain making him trip balls), I am wondering what the writers are going to do with that. Unless the motivation for the boys this season is going to get the Mark of Cain back to Cain ... which doesn't seem all that amazing as far as motivations for an entire season go (especially when it might (hopefully) be the final season). It seems like there should be something ... bigger than that for the overall baddie for the season, but maybe that's just me.

No comments: