Wednesday, October 1, 2014

'The Kindred' -- SH 2x02


Warning: Spoiler Alert

I wasn't as impressed with this episode as I might have been. I think that part of it is that I've started to grow kind of tired of the captive trope that Katrina has been living in since the very beginning of the series. They have now saved her from Purgatory, and they very really had the chance of saving her again this time. I can understand her talking Ichabod into leaving without her, as having a mole within the Horsemen's Hideout would be dead useful, but at the same time, I'd like to have something a little bit more come from her. She's supposed to be this super powerful witch, and I'd really like to see the proof of that (besides just hearing about it from other characters, cuz at a certain point, it just doesn't seem all that believable. And besides that, I would love to see another female character on the show who doesn't only skirt the edges of being cliché with needing someone (like her husband) come and save her ... even though she's supposedly powerful enough to do it herself. Yes, we have Abbie and Jenny kicking ass in all manner of ways, but I'd still like to see Katrina go all Willow from season six of "Buffy" on some demons. It would make me all kinds of happy on the inside.

I'm really hoping that I'm misreading what's going on, and they're not gearing up for a love triangle, since that would be all kinds of ... what's the opposite of awesome? Yeah, that. The whole thing of this is that Abbie and Ichabod are besties (in the best sense of the word, where they really do get each other, and they genuinely care about each other and have each other's backs), but that's not the same as being compatible when it comes to a romantic relationship. Ichabod + Katrina =/= Ichabod + Abbie.

I'm also wanting to find out more about the other two Horsemen, as we haven't spent nearly enough time exploring either of them ... in that there pretty much hasn't been any exploration at all. I'm really hoping that we don't find out that the two of them are also connected to Ichabod (or Abbie) in some way, since we're already pushing it with two Horsemen tied up with Ichabod. Sure, the two of them are important as being Witnesses, but that doesn't mean that everything is going to be tied up with them that way.

The new sheriff ... I'm still not entirely sure what I think about her. I kind of want to see her eventually join Team Witnesses, whether she starts off as a non-believer, or she starts of on Team Moloch. At this point, either way they paint her in the beginning is going to be kind of tired (whether it's Team Moloch, or he being the one blinders on, since both of those things have already been done within the police force in season one). But then, her joining Team Witnesses might be kind of cliché, too, since that's kind of what's happened before as well with both the people who didn't believe, and those who were Team Moloch.

I'm also still not completely convinced that they're not still in Purgatory, especially after the comment Abbie made about trusting Ichabod so completely that she very nearly drank some water, even while knowing that she shouldn't. Sure, it just could have been a comment that the writers threw in there that is supposed to get us ready for the possible coming of a love triangle, but I'm really wanting to read it as a possibility that we're misreading everything that is happening.

No comments: