Wednesday, April 1, 2015

'Double Date' -- Grimm 4x15


Warning: Spoiler Alert

Before I get into this episode, I have to bring up this recap of "Bad Luck", if only for the cool idea that was brought up about the new baby. What if, cuz of the spell that Adalind was using when she was trying to take away Nick's Grimmy powers, the baby is actually biologically Juliette's? I actually really like this idea, and not just cuz it would provide an interesting twist to the show (but also cuz I really want any Grimm/hexenhiest hybrid that we get on the show to have Nick and Juliette as parents). It would bring a whole new dynamic to the claim of parental rights, especially if Adalind has carried the baby and believed that it was her biological child. There could still be some pretty interesting thing done with the relationship between this new child and Diana (and the whole nature v. nurture thing), and I kind of hope that the writers go this way with the whole thing.

Ok, this last episode ...

I have to admit that I really liked the idea of this new Wesen and the way that they live their lives. In a way, it kind of makes sense that there would be both male and female present if this Wesen was based on a plant, and I do wonder if the reproduction of this particular one would be kind of plant like as well (if there is some sort of pollination that takes place). Yes, sometimes my brain starts to wonder about things that really aren't all that important to the storyline or the canon, just cuz something about some aspect of the story leads me down a rabbit hole.

I am also wondering what will happen when/if Stacey sudden shows up while Linus is in prison. That would make for a very interesting conversation with the guards, wouldn't you say?

However, the way that the writers wrote this particular Wesen, it seemed like they could have done some much better cons with them, instead of just having them con some business men in a bar and hoping that dude actually had a little bit of cash in their wallets. Wouldn't it be smarter to have them go after something bigger? Stacy and Linus seemed intelligent enough that they would have been able to figure out some identity theft with only a little more time spent on gathering the information that they needed (they were already well on their way toward doing some serious identity theft), and they likely could have run at least two serious cons in any given town without people becoming overly suspicious (what with them being able to change back and forth between each other).

I saw somewhere, where someone was saying something about how the writers were dealing with the issues of gender identity (and trans* issues) rather ham handedly with this episode, but I'm not sure that the writers were even thinking about trans* issues with this particular Wesen, so any ham handedness some people may have seen, I didn't pick up on. I had the feeling that the writers were thinking more of plant reproduction, rather than any gender identity issues. I may have been misreading what was going on, but that's the way that I saw it going down.

Also, I am really curious as to what the writers are going to do with Renard. I still don't have the feeling that they're going to kill him off, but I do think that they want to torture him a bit (which I'm perfectly ok with, as long as they don't kill him. He's my favorite character on the show, and as such I am perfectly fine with him being tortured a bit). Yes, his mom gives the impression of being a very powerful hexenbiest, and she probably had to do a whole hell of a lot to make sure that he survived being shot; that being said, I don't think that there's any way that she could plan for every contingency, so there is likely something going on there that she didn't have any way of preventing. Maybe it will turn out to be little more than his body finally reacting to being so close to death, and Juliette will be able to magic some sort of solution that will help forestall a permanent death. It would be nice to see her not be able to completely fix things, but only be able to put a band aid on things. As close as he supposedly got to dying, to have a magical solution that fixes everything doesn't feel genuine to how things should unfold. It feels like it would be much more natural if he had to deal with things for the rest of his life that were aftereffects of being shot (even if it's the terrible dreams, or a twinge he gets when it rains ... which would be kind of hilarious since he lives in a place where it rains all the time).

As far as Nick and Juliette go, I'm really hoping that the writers don't drag out this whole thing the way that they dragged it out when she couldn't remember him ... and that they don't try to mash up Juliette and Renard again. I have seen comments from some people on episode reviews who have said that they like Renard/Juliette better than Nick/Juliette, but I am fully in the Nick/Juliette camp. If Juliette was more devious (like Elizabeth), I think that I'd like Renard/Juliette a little bit more.

No comments: