Tuesday, December 10, 2013

'The Golem' -- SH 1x10


Warning: Spoiler Alert

On one level, I'm really glad that we didn't have to wait that long to find out what happened with Jeremy (or to find out his name), but on the other hand ... that's not the way that I wanted things to go for him. I was wanting him to live a long time and be happy, not have everything go to crap for him. But if the coven used a sell on him to make his heart stop, there's at least hope that something may be done to wake him back up. Maybe, at some point, Ichabod will be able to get Jeremy so that he can wake up, and get Katrina out of Purgatory; and then, they can be a family. I want this to be the thing that happens ... even though I don't think that it will. The three of them are completely boned.

And it seems that the captain is really beginning to believe what is going on with Ichabod and Allie, and with the town itself. It's obvious that he doesn't like the idea that he's probably just as boned as they are, but at least he's on board with heping them, and that makes me happy on the inside. Also that makes me happy on the inside ... that the Sin Eater is now willing to help them out as well. The more time that goes on, the more it seems that the people that are supposed to be around them are the ones who have been pulled to them (for one reason or another).

But now that we know that Jeremy was put in the ground before he was able to have a family of his own, there doesn't seem much chance that the Sin Eater is actually a descendant of Ichabod's ... unless I was able to somehow handwave what we know so far and headcanon the idea that Jeremy was able to get himself free of what the coven did (since he's apparently so powerful), but I don't think that anything like that will have happened.

So, Ichabod is supposed to do something to give up Abbie's soul to He Who is Horned. I see a bit of a problem with this, in that I don't see how anyone can get someone else's soul damned. From everything that I've ever seen before (whether in fiction, folklore, religion, or anything else), people are only able to damn themselves, or give their own souls away to the Above or the Below. If he were able to capture it, and keep it inside of some kind of trap before giving it to our Horned Overlord, that might be something different, but I'm not sure that that's what we're talking about in this instance. Seems much more like the Horns That Must Not Be Named would want Abbie free somewhat (instead of in some confined box or trap) so that he would be able to torment her to his pleasure ... but then, again, he might be able to do that if she were boxed and wrapped with a bow. But maybe they're going to be doing something other than that, and as long as they get the logic of it down (and stick to it), I don't think that I'd have a problem with whatever it is that they come up with.

No comments: