Tuesday, October 1, 2013

'For Triumph of Evil' -- SH 1x03


Warning: Spoiler Alert

Using the folklore of a community of people who aren't Christians ... that's exactly what I originally got into SPN for (and which they threw overboard after the first season).

It was really interesting to see Abbie be take control of the situation and admit to the things that she had done in the past ... the things that she still felt guilty about, but that she hadn't taken responsibility for. Maybe at some point now, she will be able to mend her relationship with her sister. I don't see that happening anytime soon, but at least it might happen eventually, and they can at least start on the first steps toward it now.

I am really hoping that Jenny turns out to be something of a kick-ass character. Yes, Abbie kicks ass, and is willing to go into situations that could feasibly end up getting her killed, but I would love to see Jenny become some kind of assassin-type character (possibly one who is able to be amazing at Parkour). As much as it would be nice to see Abbie and Jenny make peace with each other, it would also be amazing to see the two of them kind of be at odds with each other as they are both fighting toward the same goal; I want them to both be going toward the same thing (of trying to stop the evil that is coming), but it would create a lot of fabulous tension if they didn't see eye-to-eye, and if they had different ideas of what they wanted to do to get the things done. I can completely appreciate that sort of thing from a writing standpoint, and as a viewer (if the writers do it correctly), it can be absolutely delicious.

But all of this is assuming that Jenny is going to have a larger role in the show, and she isn't going to only be something in that is nagging at Abbie in the background of the show.

The captain kind of getting on our Witness's side and letting them know that they had his permission to be able to use the super secret area that they had broken into ... I'm happy that he is on their side, but I want to know why he's on their side now, cuz he seemed like he was someone who needed to have a little more evidence that there was something supernatural (or unusual) going on ... even if some of the evidence was kind of right there in front of his face. I would love to be able to get some kind of backstory when it comes to the captain. I know that it isn't something that is going to happen, but I almost want (in a geeky sort of way) to find out that he's a descendant of Washington Irving, cuz it would be kind of awesome. But I really don't think that something like that is going to happen, so I'm not going to be holding my breath on that; as long as I get some backstory on him, I think that I'll be happy.

And it looks like we might just get some information about Abbie and the ex before long. So far, I'm really not liking him, but I have the feeling that we aren't supposed to like him (whether it's now, or it's sometime later on). We might get a little more information about what happened with their relationship and the ending of it (even though we've already gotten a bit already), but I would actually be perfectly fine if we didn't get anything at all.

No comments: