Monday, April 7, 2014

'Two Swords' -- GoT 4x01


Warning: Spoiler Alert

While I completely understand the naming of the episode (after all, two swords were created from the sword that had been Ice), but the fact that they only really referenced the one sword that had been given to Jaime, it doesn't seem like calling the episode "Two Swords" really make sense. Even if they weren't going to show off both of the swords that had been made from Ice, and were only going to reference "swords" as though they were people (like sellswords), they didn't really do very well with that either. If one of the "swords" was Jaime (and I don't see how it could not have been seeing as how they made kind of a big deal about the fact that he had been given one of the swords by his father), then, who would have the other one have been? Ayra? The Hound? Bronn? Grey Worm? Daario Naharis? Someone else? Any one of them could feasibly have been considered a "sword" in this scenario.

Speaking of Bronn ... every time that I see him, I kept thinking of Bennet Drake (the character the actor plays on "Ripper Street") and kind of wishing that the actor had at least used a slightly different kind of facial hair so that I wouldn't keep thinking of a completely different character on a completely different show. But at the same time, I was going "Yeah! Jerome Flynn!"

Tyrion continues to be the little bad ass that he has always been, and I want to shake Sansa for not realizing just how kind he's being to her ... despite the fact that she does have reason to not only not like Lannisters, but not trust them as well. But then, being outside of the situation would only serve to help see things a little more clearly ... but I'm not sure that it's really helped her in the books to have some distance from Tyrion. He keeps getting the shaft from his family, and he's the one Lannister that I really hope survives this whole thing. Well ... I take that back ... I've started to kind of want Jamie to survive the shitstorm that is coming as well. If he hadn't changed with the loss of his hand, I don't think that I'd be able to not wish him harm and evilness (but ever since he lost his hand, he's slowly stopped being a raging cock. He's still a bit of one, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was when he still had the use of both hands (the Jamie that had both hands never would have gone after Brienne of Tarth to make sure that she survived the bear)). And I wish that Jamie would listen to Brienne a little bit more, but I don't see that happening for some time yet ... until he stops being a complete Lannister and starts becoming somewhat of a decent human being.

If everything goes the way that I want it to, Tyrion will be the only Lannister left standing (unless Jamie starts being less of a jerkface), and he'll land on his feet ... possibly in charge of Casterly Rock. Wouldn't that be complexly awesome? The one person that the rest of the family tortured and wrote off as being worthless, and he's the one that ends up in charge of everything. Truth be told, the whole family would probably do a whole lot better if Tyrion were in charge (with a lot less enemies, and at least a few more friends ... ones that were actually friends and not just people that were afraid of them).

Prince Oberyn ... I can't even describe how happy I am with the introduction of the Martells into the story. I love the whole thing with the Martells in the books, and I'm really looking forward to being able to see that stuff on screen.

Speaking of Prince Oberyn, I saw this write up of the episode and the possibility of there being a hint about Jon Snow's parentage. That would be amazing if that was what they were pointing us toward, and not just a bunch of fans wanting to see something that wasn't really there.

No comments: